Today we debuted both the telescoping launch mast and the line angle sensor. Martin Bretschneider joined us again, as did Paul Larkin. Before the kite test, we towed the boat in a large hexagon at about 5 knots. The purpose of this tow test was to record the boat moving in a straight line at six different headings, in another attempt to verify that the compass is working correctly. We are still not satisfied with our measurement of the true wind angle, as the numbers we’ve generated don’t match up with with geometry of the gps track. After the tow test, we put up the kite for some more downwind sailing practice. We were able to launch with the new mast after only two tries, and had no trouble with kite retrieval or mast extension/retraction. The line angle sensor worked very well, and we got some nice video of it in action. Data from Jamie to follow. We also briefly used another set of headsets from Paul, these ones with boom mics.
Kai View Data:
More: Kiteboat Tests