Kitefoiler Test – Jun 21Return to News
We took the Kitefoiler out again with the original J-foils, as they’ve proved the most reliable in allowing us to sail upwind. We took out an old kite from 2003 that has a high aspect ratio and a very simple bridle, in order to compare its performance to our newer kites. The wind proved light, so we did not sail quickly enough to get the boat on the foils. We did, however, verify that the simple bridle on the kite was much easier to handle on the launching mast than the more complicated ones. Also, we realized that the launching mast needs to be expandable, in order to be made taller for larger or higher-aspect-ratio kites.
Additionally, Don and Joe added an easily collapsible stabilizer to the winch, which prevents the winch from accidentally coming unhinged during use, but still allows the winch to be removed from the boat with ease.
After a long test, we found ourselves fighting the tide with our small outboard motor, and Richard showed up to tow us home in the Protector.
More: Kiteboat Tests