We went out a second time with the 30 sqm kite and boat designer David Alan Williams. For the first time, we removed the launching mast before sailing to reduce wind drag. We’re now discussing ways to eliminate using the mast altogether. We again ran into Johnny on the water. Two of Richard’s friends joined us for the test. Prior to using the kite, we towed the boat (see previous post by Jamie). Thanks Dudu for taking photos!
We took the Kitefoiler out again today to practice launching with the carbon mast. Joe added extensions to the mast earlier this week to accommodate a larger kite, and this time he, Don and Dudu used a brand new 25 sqm kite, instead of the 20 sqm one. The new kite is similar to the old 25 sqm high-aspect-ratio kite that we’ve been using with such success on the Trifoiler and Kitefoiler. The new kite, however, has some improvements, including a larger diameter strut base and a trailing edge canopy made of Dacron instead of the old, softer material.
During the test, we had trouble on the first couple of launches with an exposed bolt on the top of the […more]
Today we tested the new kite-launching mast on the Kitefoiler for the first time. The setup includes the K1 winch with custom platform, two carbon windsurfing masts with extensions, and an intricate system of pulleys. Don, Joe, and Dudu successfully launched the kite three times, but had difficulty transitioning from launch controls to sailing controls. Overall, the test went well, as each successive launch improved upon the last. However, they attempted a fourth launch, but the kite lost air after hitting a sharp carbon piece on the bow. Today was also the first test of some of the new modifications to the boat, including steel reinforcements on the rail moldings and bronze bushings and smaller wheels on the […more]