Kai Concepts is a Bay Area team, founded by Don Montague, known for testing the limits of kite propulsion, hydrofoil technology and experimenting with technological advances in water-sport technology. The company has strong backing from industry luminaries. We are a small team of creative problem solvers with backgrounds in engineering, software development, manufacturing, inflatable design, and competitive windsurfing and kitesurfing. We are extremely passionate individuals who get an immense amount of satisfaction out of collaborating to solve some truly unique and challenging problems.
We are searching for a driven individual that is a team player and willing to learn and adapt to our culture. We are a dynamic company solving amazing problems and being flexible is a huge part of our mentality at KAI Concepts. Having a passion for marine environment and/or water-sports is a huge plus and will make your experience at Kai Concepts even more fulfilling.
As a guidance, navigation, & controls (GNC) engineer at Kai Concepts, you will be involved with designing, overseeing, organizing, testing, and managing the control system development for our EV hydrofoiling vessels. Our ideal candidate is an experienced, passionate, and like-minded individual with a sense of adventure who gets a thrill out of solving challenging problems and is eager to develop next-gen marine EV technology. With exceptional problem solving abilities and a proven ability to strategize you will help us develop our next gen hydrofoiling EV control systems. You will contribute to the navigation system design, implementation, and testing, and your work will help enable the operation of manned & unmanned hydrofoiling EV systems.
Some of what you will be doing:
- Work with internal stakeholders to establish navigation system requirements and architect the navigation system.
- Analyze, source, and select sensor solutions for use in the navigation system.
- Develop sensor models in simulation for evaluation of the navigation system.
- Implement state estimation algorithms in flight software.
- Test navigation software in simulation, hardware-in-loop, and flight.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional analytical skills and engineering fundamentals.
- Self-starter with excellent time management skills, high level attention to detail, and an innate curiosity for problem solving.
- 5+ years industry experience developing guidance, navigation and/or control systems.
- Expert knowledge of C++ or MATLAB/SIMULINK.
- Expertise in probabilistic estimation theory, nonlinear optimization, and filtering with real world data.
- Expertise in state space and optimal control theory.
- Experience in implementing non-linear control systems.
- Experience in implementing Kalman Filters and sensor failure detection.
- Graduate degree in aerospace engineering or a related field
- Sensor fusion, localization, and tracking algorithms
- GNSS integrity monitoring